Monday, May 09, 2011

A Day Off.

"One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more."
~Thomas Jefferson


A couple months ago, I decided that I needed a day off from work, so I scheduled one for the day after Easter, 25 April. The tulips at Thanksgiving Point were calling my name and I also wanted to see the Carl Bloch exhibit at The BYU Museum of Art. Oh... and I desperately needed a pedicure. No one seemed available to spend the day with me, so I enjoyed the activities all by myself, which was actually quite nice.

I started my day with a workout and then drove down to Lehi to the Thanksgiving Point gardens. The sky was threatening to rain.



But luckily, though rain did fall along my drive, the hour and a half walking around the gardens was raindrop free. And it was beautiful. Dontcha think?


And others weren't
Some things were in bloom










And here's proof I was actually there.

Oh, and the art exhibit was just exquisite. The Brigham Young University Museum of Art had an exhibition of the art of Carl Bloch. On display were five large altarpieces, four of which were on loan from Lutheran churches in Denmark and Sweden. Along with the altarpieces, there were more than thirty other religious and genre works.

I have come to be quite familiar much of Carl Bloch's work, as a Latter-day Saint, and am quite fond of him. There is nothing quite like seeing the work of an artist in person. The colors, the cracking paint, the expressions captured were truly a sight to behold. The Savior is depicted so beautifully and so emotionally. The exhibit was beautiful.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda
Carl Bloch, 1883

Christ and the Young Child
Carl Bloch, 1873


Sermon on the Mount
Carl Bloch, 1890

Just beautiful.

And my toes? I'll spare you a picture, but they were pretty nice too. Overall, a really great day off.

.
.
.
.

4 comments:

Lindsay RC Wilson said...

Wish I had been there to enjoy this with you.

Becky said...

Spectacular! The flowers AND the art.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been able to be there, too. And having Lindsay there would have been fun,too. Another year...

Mom

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

You totally should have called me friend...I would have LOVED to join you. The pictures are beautiful, almost as lovely as you! Hopefully we can get together soon. Love ya lots!