Saturday, October 18, 2008

Do you Wordle?

Last Sunday, during Sacrament Meeting, M and I were passing notes back and forth. I know, I know, ... very sixth grade. But before you go too far with that thought, let me tell you part of what we were "talking" about:

eclaires:
Do you think that someone has invented some sort of device that can track the number of times one speaks certain words and can keep a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly tally of how many times one has said, for example: "good" or "church" or "but" or "fantastic" or "conference" or whatever? If someone hasn't ... I wish they would. :)

M:
No, I don't think anyone has invented such a thing. But I'll see what I can do, for your sake.

eclaires:
Thanks, I'd like that...
Maybe even just an embedded micro-chip sized recorder than can download or transmit to a computer and then some software program that can sort it all.

M:
We should ask Veronica's friend about what she can do for us. (Editor's note: We have been watching Season 2 of Veronica Mars together.)

eclaires:
:)

Well, instead of asking Mac (Veronica's friend), I stumbled upon this website called wordle. Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. I linked my blog and this is what I came up with. It not only puts it in "cloud" form, but you can get a list of all the words (minus some extremely common ones) and the number of times they were used in the block of text or on the website. :) Very fun.


I know you can't see it very well, but click on the picture and you'll see a larger version.

6 comments:

amiee said...

THAT is funny! and yet very cool!

Lydia and Josh said...

did you see the wordle of my blog?

eclaires said...

Lydia, I did see your wordle. I love wordles! How did you get yours to be so big on your blog? I couldn't make mine any bigger without it going blurry...

Sherine said...

How fun.. I ran one and elmo came up a little too frequently. hmmm.

Lydia and Josh said...

i used an image capture of the one on wordle's website and saved it as a jpeg then posted that picture as a link instead of the thumbnail they provided

Sassmaster said...

Stumbled upon wordle? Um, can I have some credit please? I told you about wordle. Remember? I made that name poster for you? It is a fun site, isn't it? :)