Friday, July 29, 2011

That's the Point.

"Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak;
sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."
~Author Unknown

Just a random picture I took. I'd like to say I planned it.

Twelve years ago, I started dating my friend's boyfriend's friend.
We dated for a year, well after my friend and her boyfriend broke things off. My boyfriend and I weren't really right for each other.
He wasn't right for me, but he kept trying to make it right.
He was good to me. We were close. I liked being loved.
I liked having a boyfriend.
But ultimately, I just knew he wasn't the right one.
He was going nowhere fast and ultimately, so was the relationship.
There were a lot of things wrong therein, but he was "cheerful," as my mom put it
--unbeknownst to me, she actually dubbed him "the cheerful deadbeat"--
and I was just having fun.

I told him that I didn't feel like "we" were really going in the right direction
and that I knew I couldn't make him happy (he desperately wanted to get married
--which was part of the problem--
and there was NO way that was going to happen).
So I ended things, only somewhat mutually.
We never saw each other again.

He contacted me on FB a little over two years ago, saying,
"Hey. Wow, you have only gotten prettier as time went on! I still love those blue eyes! Sorry I didn't pull my head outta my a$$! Can we still be something?"
Really classy. Really classy.
Sounds like he never rid himself of the "deadbeat" half of his moniker.
I never replied.

So eleven years ago, when I told him I wanted him to be happy and I didn't think that meant with me, he replied,
"Do you really want to do this?
If you break up with me, you're never going to find someone like me again."
At the time, I knew breaking up was right, but still took those words as a dagger to the soul and said,
"I know," wondering if I ever would find someone to love.
But now all these years later, and several great relationships later
(the first one was only three months after he and I broke up),
I finally realized how I should have replied:
"I'm never going to find someone like you again? Well, that's the point."
.
.
.
.

5 comments:

Becky said...

What a perfect come-back. You made me laugh out loud.

Shauntel said...

Love this. Love your writing. You make me want to go write something inspiring.

But then I sit and come up with nada because my brain has turned to up-all-night-with-babies mush.

So glad someone's brain puts words together so perfectly. Love.

Bethany said...

You are such a riot. And, entirely correct. What is really sad though, is that HE will never find someone like YOU again-- poor thing. It was only downhill from then for him.

Lindsay RC Wilson said...

This is a great piece and you should submit it somewhere. I don't know where, but I loved it.

rawhide said...

i love it!! that is the best comeback and its so true!!!