Saturday, July 09, 2011

Couch-to-5k: W1D1

"All it takes is all you got."
~Marc Davis



I have jumped on the bandwagon!

Today, I started The Couch-to-5k Running Plan! I thought I was going to die about halfway through my 30- minute session today, but now that I'm back home and resting on my bed, blogging about it, I feel super proud of myself!

There are three workouts per week, which consist of alternating running and walking. Each week the amount of running increases while the walking decreases. The goal of the 9-week plan is to help the runner build up enough endurance to complete a 5k (3.1 miles) without stopping.

I have never run more than a mile at one time in my whole life. And I haven't even done that any time recently. I walk a lot, but this running thing is new for me. But I'm really excited. Nervous, but excited! I think I might even throw myself a party, if in 9 weeks I can run over 3 miles without stopping to cough up a lung! Since I will have just arrived in Italy in 9 weeks, I plan to party with some genuine, authentically delicious gelato! (More on that later.) How does that sound for a good reward!?!

Today's session actually wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. (Maybe that's hindsight speaking.) For a girl who gets winded walking up three flights of stairs, I was a superstar this morning! (Indulge me. I have to keep telling myself things like this.) I regularly work out at Curves, which is great for strength training, but running is a whole different ball game.

Please indulge my blogging about this; I want to make myself accountable. To you. And to myself. So I’ll keep you posted on my progress! Oh, and feel free to join in the fun with me. You can download the Couch-to-5k app on your phone (the app lady talks you through your workout) or take a look at the website also. I dare you.

Now to choose a 5k in September or October. Any ideas?
.
.
.
.

3 comments:

Shauntel said...

You go girl. I think this sounds awesome.

I miss running more than anything(running injuries and pregnancies have put my running career "on hold," as I like to say). It's seriously the best work out and completely cathartic.

I'll be cheering you on.

Oh, and choose a race without much uphill. :)

amiee said...

I have totally done this before! I think I got about halfway through the thing and somehow messed it all up and never finished it. Niiiice, right? I liked the idea of it, though. I think you have inspired me to attempt this again. I've only been walking as well. Wouldn't hurt to do a 5K!!!!!!! (unless I get pregnant, then maybe not!!!!) hahhaha. I need to check out the app!!!!!

Because My Sister Told Me Too.... said...

Alright, I'm officially coming out of lurker status to tell you 1. Good Job! and 2. I finished that program a while back. I LOVED IT! Before I started I couldn't even run a half a mile because of endurance and asthma. I ran my first 5k in May. I have another planned for October, I live in Arizona so I don't run 5k's outside right now, and a 10k planned for November. I regularly run 3-5 miles on my treadmill a few times a week. I am a firm believer in this program. Stick with it, and I promise you it will work!

Amy @ becausemysistertoldmetoo.blogspot.com

FYI: I'm Mikol's little sister!