Monday, February 11, 2019

2019 BAFTA Red Carpet Favorites

"What is beautiful is good, and
who is good will soon also be beautiful."
~Sappho


The BAFTA Awards (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) always bring out great looks on the red carpet and also they reliably bring out The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. If you don't know already, I have a bit of an obsession with the BRF (that's the British Royal Family, for those not in the know) and especially the younger royal generation.

As with most of my red carpet posts, here are some of my favorite looks on the red carpet in no particular order. Okay, let's be honest, the order is particular because I'm starting with the Duchess of Cambridge. #royalfan

All photos found at eonline.com or today.com.



Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge swept the red carpet with a white gown that seemed to simply glide. The movement of the skirt was wonderful and I love the floral detail on the shoulder. I haven't been a big fan of one-shoulder dresses in the past, but they are growing on me, as I've seen a number of stunning one-shoulder gowns in the past several years.




Next, we have Glenn Close, a woman who rarely disappoints with her fashion choices. Simple. Great v-neck. Love the peplum. Interesting sparkly adornment.




Letitia Wright looked great in this minimalist look. I love the white, the ankle pants, and the statement shoes and clutch.




Margot Robbie's gown looks a bit like ... well, I don't know. Angel wings maybe? It's definitely a departure from my own personal style, but it's working for me. I like it.





The cut of Michelle Yeoh's gown is my favorite part of it. The attached train/cape is a favorite evening gown look of mine these days. I wish the blue color were a bit bolder so that the contrast between with the gold was more prominent. However, she does match the logo in the back pretty well.




Olivia Colman's black and white classic look has an added twist with the bateau neckline and 3/4 bell sleeves. I think the bell sleeves would have looked better if they were full-length or wrist-wrist length, simply because added width right at one's hips/waistline serves to make one look wider than they really are. However, I still like the look. I find that I'm especially drawn to gowns that have more coverage. I myself like to be more covered. I don't like my upper arms and I also don't like getting cold, so I think more coverage is usually my style.




Rachel Brosnahan is lovely in her clean cut green gown ... if you remove the big bow. It's certainly a conversation piece, but it just gets in the way for me.




Regina King is bold with that bright pink. Love the color. Don't love the strap in the middle of her chest; I would have preferred an off-the-shoulder strap symmetrical to the other side. But I like the cut of the dress (minus the giant leg slit -- again with that coverage) and the flutter bottom of the skirt.




And lastly, another one-shoulder dress from Salma Hayek. I like the simplicity of this one. No slit. Long sleeve. Good cut. Weird lizard adornment, but to each their own.


No comments: