Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Too soon.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us."

~Joseph Campbell

Storm clouds brewing on the way to work this morning

A rainy day. Fall is here. I'll admit, I like it. A. Lot. But what I don't like is that one day I'm using my air conditioning and the next, I'm seriously tempted to turn on the heater. Seriously, it's too soon. Such is life living in Salt Lake.

Steve Jobs died today. He was 56. Wow. That man seriously shaped the world as we know it. His death came too soon. Too soon for the world. Too soon for him. Too soon for his family. Seriously, too soon.

And may I say that I just really don't like the oft-used abbreviation RIP? I don't know why, but it immediately brings to mind images of spiderweb-sheathed tombstones with a mummy and Frankenstein with their arms in the air ready to scare you. Halloween. And Halloween seems to have an irreverent take on death. I know it stands for "rest in peace," but I suppose I prefer seeing all the words instead of the initials on this one. And there you go.

So in two days, I'm going on a date. A bona-fide date. Honest to goodness (where did that phrase come from?) date. As in boy asks girl. Girl had no idea it was coming. Seriously. NO. IDEA. I like that. Pleasantly surprised. Boy decided he liked me when I wasn't even trying to impress him. Now that's flattering. Never saw it coming.

He's very nice. And he laughs a lot. I need that in my life. I've noticed him for awhile, but truly never thought anything would happen. For some reason, my mind never really went there. We'll see if he sticks around long enough to get a nickname. Remember: The Cheerful Deadbeat? The Artist? Future GA? M? Blind Date? Who else? I don't think I can mention them all since some of them are too close to their actual names. Funny, but I've never been one to give nicknames (most of those came from my family), but when blogging in this very public world, I feel like I need to keep some semblance of privacy. For me. Oh, and for them. :)

Don't worry, I'll keep you updated if it's worth keeping you updated on. For now, it's too soon to know. Too soon for a nickname.

Anyway, time for bed. More later. I still have several more days of Italy to post, a trip to NYC from May, a trip to St. George with SLCA in June, a trip to Park City in August with Mom, a trip to southern California this last weekend... so much to document and share. Oh and I'm running a 6k this weekend. It's raining. I'm cold. I haven't run since Saturday. Ha. Oh well, wish me luck. At least I'm doing it. And not a minute too soon.
.
.
.
.

No comments: