Tuesday, October 11, 2011


"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last.
You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."

~Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

I was pretty excited, in case you can't tell.
So my friends, I did it. Despite my efforts in self-sabotage (a subject for another post), I successfully completed my first race. I ran a 6k! Rather shocking, I know. I'm the first to admit that I never thought I'd see the day when *I* would run in a race. Let's be honest, I couldn't even run a full mile in middle school without stopping to walk. Let alone even venture out to run 3.72 miles (6k).

Indulge me and allow me to pat myself on the back. I'm just a little bit proud of myself.

Race day was pretty cold. I'm sure it was in the low 40s, so I bundled up and didn't take my scarf and hoodie off until mid mile 3.. My left ankle, infamously sprained in Lithuania numerous times (actually both of them were sprained more than 10 times each), acts up in cold weather and it ached before I even walked over to the start line. Interestingly, it was fine, but my right ankle started bothering me during mile 3 until the end. Nothing serious, though and it hasn't hurt since.

I was super nervous beforehand. Nervous about being able to finish. Nervous about whether or not I'd be able to run that far. Nervous that my breathing would go out of control and try to kill me like it does on occasion. Nervous that the it was so cold.

By the way, the funky bump under my shirt which makes me look like I have another left shoulder coming out of my chest is really my phone tucked into my sports bra. I still have not graduated to the level of "runner with gear." Maybe I'll reward myself now and get an arm band to hold my iPod/phone. :)

Having no time goal whatsoever, I decided that I was going to run the way I always do: walk the first five minutes, then run the rest of the way, walking up any steep inclines. I ended up only walking the first three minutes, then ran the rest of the way. I walked up two rather steep inclines and then one for about a minute or two just because. I should have just run through that two minutes, but oh well. I wanted to make sure I had enough energy to finish, seeing as even in all my training I had not run any more than 2.5-3 miles at a time.

Kate surprised me at the end and took some pictures of me. I didn't think I cared about having anyone at the finish line, but it proved to be really nice. High on endorphins, I was happy to have someone to talk to and share the experience with. Plus, she took me back to her house and cooked me breakfast.

And one of the unexpected highlights? Running past the water stations, being handed a cup of water and then throwing it on the side of the road! How liberating!

Something funny that I didn't anticipate was the type of conversations I overheard during this women-only race. :) Lots of birthing, pregnancy, period, and men woes.

All in all, it was fun! Thanks to Wasatch Woman and the Love Your Body team!

Things I'd do differently next time?
1. Pin my bib on the inside of my sweatshirt on my shirt, so that I could more easily take my zip hoodie off while running. (Yes, I ran while I unpinned and repinned my bib to my zip-front hoodie.)
2. Pin my bib higher on my chest, so that my hands/wrists don't run into it with every other stride.
3. Invite more friends to the finish line.
4. Remember to bring my iPod. I've never actually run with music. I've been focused on my breathing and then let my mind wander in my head. As a reward for training, I was going to finally listen to music... but left it at home.
5. Remember to bring a bottle of chocolate milk. Can you even believe I forgot this?!?!

So, now for my next race...

1 comment:

Becky said...

Way to go! And your hair is not allowed to look that cute at the end of a race. :)