Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Groundhog Day.

Rita: "Do you ever have déjà vu?"
Phil: "Didn't you just ask me that?"

~Rita (Andie McDowell) and Phil (Bill Murray) in the film Groundhog Day

For the last several years, in celebration of Groundhog Day, I've had a tradition of inviting a few friends over to watch the 1993 film Groundhog Day. I've found that every time I watch the movie, I just like it more and more. This time, I found myself laughing out loud almost non-stop, it seemed. You see, as I may have mentioned before, I have this keen ability to forget details of movies (and books), which allows me to watch them again and again ALMOST like it's the first time. I'd forgotten SO many details and nuances since last year's viewing, so it had me wheeze-laughing at times. It really is a very funny movie. Bill Murray is one funny guy.


So, the other funny thing is this... on the way to work today, the radio station I had switched to started playing Sonny and Cher's "I've Got You Babe" and jokingly began to recreate the recurring 6am scene from the movie. Now if you haven't seen Groundhog Day recently, then you may not remember, but this is the song that Phil wakes up to again and again and again. Hearing it on the radio this morning brought a huge smile to my face. Good job radio peeps!

Happy Groundhog Day to you!

Oh, and if you're interested in knowing if Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, he did. According to him, there will be six more weeks of winter. But apparently, not all groundhogs think alike. Read here to learn the some other groundhogs predicted winter ending much more quickly. Hmmm. I think they need to band together and provide a much more unified front. What do you think? haha...
.
.
.
.

1 comment:

amiee said...

do you know that i've never seen that movie all the way through? only bits and pieces. one of these days i'll have to check it out IN FULL. :)