Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Thankful for My Calling. And a New Blog.

"Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you."
~Eileen Caddy

In June 2009, I transitioned from a Young Single Adult ward to a traditional ("family") ward. Certain that I'd be called to teach Gospel Doctrine (my favorite calling, despite the fact that I never thought I'd be a teacher) or work with the Single Adults, I was quite surprised when my Bishop asked me if I was ready for a challenge...

He called me to be the Ward Primary Music Leader. Wow. That's not at all what I had in mind. I knew I should be excited, but I admit I was rather hesitant. How would I ever get to know anyone in the ward? I'd be tucked away in Primary and never get to go to Relief Society or Gospel Doctrine, let alone ever teach!

Little did I know...

"The music leader is the gospel doctrine teacher for the Primary."
~President Hinckley
I was called to be Gospel Doctrine teacher!

Not only that, but how many teachers can say, "My students still know the lessons I gave them... word for word!" Nothing beats hearing "my lessons" as I walk down the hallway, or out to my car at the end of the day, or even in the middle of Sacrament Meeting.



And remember how I thought I wouldn't meet anyone in the ward? Well, you might be surprised how well I know adults in the ward, through their children. And on top of that, I have 40 new little friends! Nothing warms the heart quite like the look on a child's face when they see me in Sacrament Meeting, and they turn and poke their mom, pointing and saying, "Mom, look! That's my friend over there."

So in the spirit of preparation, organization, appreciation, and of course sharing of ideas, I have started a new blog to house all my lesson plans and ideas.

ldsprimarysingingandsharing


Can you believe it wasn't taken?! Feel free to check it out and link to it, especially if you, yourself, are working in the Primary at church.

And please, if you have any ideas... share them!

Photo found here.



2 comments:

Sonda said...

Yeah for you! I wish we had a better music leader. It really is an important calling and many people don't realize it. The kids learn so much through music. I love hearing my kids singing the songs they learn in Primary.

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

What a fun calling! I always hope for that one - but I get stuck behind the piano...and the kids just think it turns on when singing time begins. Enjoy this while it lasts.