Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ascending the Laber Peak in the Ammergauer Alps.

"We must get beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey."
~John Hope Franklin

On our last full day in Oberammergau, we all took the Laber Bergbahn up the mountain to eat lunch and take in the beautiful scenery. Just look at these pictures below! At the top, I ordered schnitzel because I wanted to eat something authentically German. It was surprisingly good, especially since I typically don't eat much fried food. I didn't even take any pictures... I guess I was too hungry.

Picture taken by budding photographer, Andrew.

Looking back down.
On the way up.


THIS is us.
This is not us.

Do you see the Fall colors peeking through?


The NATO School buildings are in the foreground.
Then you can see the church on the left and the Passion Theater to the right of that in about the middle of town.


Andrew found a perfect little "window" all to himself.

Andrew and his "Papa" (Fred) at the top of the world.

Just stunning. This one of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen.

KDJ, Andrew, and I at the bottom.

Me with one of my goofy faces.

This small one room church was nestled in the trees near where we got on the Laber cable car.

Remember the wood piles I mentioned?
This family, situated just next to the small church, is clearly storing up wood for the winter, as well.

What a beautiful day! Thank you Fred and Linda, for making it possible! It will be forever etched into my memory.
.
.
.
.

No comments: