Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Skype-tastic.



Have I ever mentioned my complete and total love for Skype? No? Well, let me begin now.

First off, for those of you who have yet to use it, Skype is communication tool whose features include: instant messaging, video conferencing, and telephone calling (voice only). You can transfer files directly, as well share your computer desktop (meaning you can essentially show the other person via video conferencing, everything that you see on your computer screen.

Computer-to-computer calls are free. Yes, I said free. Instant messaging is free. Video is free. The only cost associated with Skype is if you truly use it as a phone and have a telephone number associated with your account. This allows you to call other land-lines, which would then incur a cost. But for all intents and purposes (my intents and purposes), it's free.

Skype was written by Estonia-based developers and founded by Swede and a Dane. In case you don't know, I come from (as in my ancestors are) Swedes and Danes and more recently, have an adopted place in my heart for Estonians. Plus. Plus. And plus.

Why else should you love it? Well, when I say you can communicate for free, I mean... you can communicate for free. Now we all know that the instant messaging tool is one that can be found and used for free just about anywhere. You have GoogleTalk, Yahoo Instant Messenger, MSN messenger, etc. But it's the video conferencing that gets me excited. With a few hiccups here and there, based on your internet speed, it really is a great way to keep in touch and truly feel like you're just sitting next to the person on the other end.

I have to remind myself more often than not (the me, who forgets that I should be more modest sometimes) that when I click to make a video call, I should probably already be fulled clothed, instead of waiting for the connection and seeing a picture of myself on the screen in my underwear! (The larger part of your screen is the other person on the other end, but you see a very small square of what the other person sees -- you in your underwear.)

Luckily, I use Skype most often to talk with AgnÄ— in Lithuania and Lindsay in Qatar. And they already know my dress code.

So, have you started thinking about all the people you wish you could see more often? You live far away from family and you just want to see them or they want to see you... or see your babies? Just download the software at http://www.skype.com/. It's easy to get started and quite user-friendly once you get going. Just make sure you have a webcam.

Now if all of this hasn't convinced you, let me share with you the concrete reason I believe in Skype.

This face.



Enough said.


Photo of Leoni courtesy of Lindsay and Travis.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Soon, people. Soon.
.
.
.

1 comment:

rawhide said...

i love skype!!!! i talk to my sister and nephews and nice and my dad who lives in mexico and my grandpa who lives in mexico.....yes and i love free!!!