Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tomatoes, Talk, and Travel.

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato."
~Lewis Grizzard

Today, Katie and I took Harley on a walk. Harley is Brittney and Casey's miniature English bulldog, whom we are dog-sitting until Monday, when she will board a plane to Germany to meet up with Britt, Casey, and the girls. Yes, she gets her own flight. Getting her prepared to go overseas is quite an ordeal (legally speaking), but I don't think Casey could live without her. So off she'll go on Monday (thanks to Brittney's careful planning and preparation).

So anyway, back to our walk.
Today is such a beautiful day, with the sun shining and a slight breeze keeping things fairly cool at about 80-85 degrees. We all know that I don't like to be hot. :) So, the purpose of the walk was two-fold: Harley needed to go out and the Stake President's garden is full of tomatoes. :) Don't worry; we were invited to take them.

As a child, I never liked tomatoes much. Yuck. Well, that's not entirely true. I liked them in spaghetti sauce, but, "Ew. Get that tomato OUT of my salad and OFF my sandwich!"

Oh, how we get wiser with age...

So, we filled a bag full of beautiful red tomatoes. I could hardly wait to get home to try them, so I tasted one while still roaming in the garden. Yum. So wonderfully delicious. Homegrown tomatoes far outrank their grocery store counterparts. They are just THAT good.

On the way home, we ran into a man in our ward. They live in a very German style home, almost cottage-like. He told us that returning to the States following a period of several years living in northern Germany, they wanted to build their home to have that European feel.

Over dinner in a restaurant one night, they laid out their ideas, drew a floor plan, and subsequently took it to an architect. A year and a half later they had their home. He said sometimes he wonders if they made a mistake, since the home looks nothing like any in the vicinity, but it's what they wanted. I assured him that I didn't think it was a mistake at all! I love looking at it as I walk or drive by. Helps me keep my traveling dreams fresh in mind.
So, where will it be next? :)

1 comment:

Sherine said...

I've always wondered about people who eat raw tomatoes:)