So this year, even though SLC makes it a little hard to recycle, I've decided to make a more concentrated effort to go green. Go more green. Just in time for St. Patrick's Day! My current green goals include:
- Reusing plastic grocery bags as garbage bags. (I already do this.) REUSE
- Using cloth bags at the grocery store. REDUCE
- Skipping the produce plastic bags. REDUCE
- Separating and actually recycling my paper, plastic, metal and glass waste. (We already started doing this.) RECYCLE
- Reusing plastic ziploc bags when possible. (Already started this, too.) REUSE
- Buying a bucket and putting it in my shower, then using that water to water plants and flush my toilet. CONSERVE WATER
- Turning off water while brushing my teeth and lathering my hands in soap. CONSERVE WATER
- Turning off lights when I leave a room for more than a few minutes. CONSERVE ENERGY
- Planning my errand-running so that using less gasoline and emitting lower emissions. CONSERVE
Two things I'm hesitant to commit to working on right now are my paper towel usage and the length of my showers. I love paper towels. I hate using dish towels, probably because I'm paranoid of the germs they undoubtedly hold. And I love my showers. I don't take extremely long showers, but they're usually ten minutes. :) Those two opportunities to reduce are for another time. Baby steps, right?
So, I'll keep you updated on my new green goals and share with you websites, tips, and thoughts as I have them! Please feel free to share with me your green tips and anything you find out, too.
So don't forget, Kermit... it's so easy being green. :)