Saturday, June 16, 2012

South Dakota and beyond. Day Three, Part One: Reptile Gardens.

"Don't taunt the alligator until after you've crossed the creek."
~Dan Rather

Who knew that we came to South Dakota to see alligators, crocodiles, orchids, tortoises, snakes, and eagles? Saturday morning we drove out to Reptile Gardens, which originally seemed like an odd choice, but was actually really fun.

On the way there, we stopped at a little craft and food fair in a park. We even watched a belly dancing show. I was having a hard time getting a good shot, but you can see her purple costume twirling.



After getting our craft and belly dance fill, we continued on to Reptile Gardens.

Our own Vanna White.
A careful plan of the day, allowed us to see all the shows they had: the bird show, the reptile show, and the snake show, as well as have time to fit in all the other photo ops.


I love how this picture shows "the way out."
The bird show seemed a little silly and slightly out of place for Reptile Gardens, but it was entertaining enough.


Then on to the reptile show, where we learned what not to do at home.







Oh and the tortoises.

They reminded me of Sheldon and Shelonda.


They loved me. Of course.
And how could we forget the snake show? (Apparently, I could... I didn't take any pictures. This one is from Katie's camera.)


Then we walked through the orchid tropical rain forest greenhouse thing. I couldn't stop taking pictures.










Beautiful.

Also, although we never took a picture, I met up with my good friend, AnnMarie, from my mission. She lives in south-eastern Wyoming and was in the area with her family to see the "carved mountains." They had been wanting to come to South Dakota and see Mount Rushmore for awhile, and when I said I was coming, they were inspired. :) Too bad we didn't take a picture. Next time.

Dinner at Desperado's on Main Street in Hill City, South Dakota was delicious. I got buffalo, which makes me kind of sad because I love buffs. Ever since driving by my herd in Golden Gate Park, they've become friends. And they became much more than stone creatures when a dog got in their enclosure and caused a stampede. Love them. I may never be able to eat buffalo again, even though it is delicious and much healthier for you than beef. My poor little buffs.




Then we were off to see Crazy Horse...

(Written July 8, 2013)
.
.
.
.

No comments: