Monday, June 21, 2010

Babies. The Movie. Recommended.

"I restore myself when I'm alone."
~Marilyn Monroe

A few weeks ago, I had simply had a enough of people. You know those days (weeks)? When everybody seems to need a piece of you, or a moment of your time, or advice on a decision (that they don't even end up taking). I'd been working several late nights and just wanted to do something alone. Something where I didn't have to talk to anyone. I wasn't in a bad mood, just tired of talking to people. :)

So I left work at 7:00pm in time to drive to the movie theater and see a film called Babies. Interestingly, the film doesn't have a lot talking (just what I was looking for), since the main characters aren't old enough to speak. It was very much a visually moving experience.


The film follows four babies from birth through their first birthday. Ponijao from Namibia. Mari from Tokyo. Bayar from Mongolia. And Hattie from San Francisco.

The babies and their day-to-day experiences were actually really delightful to watch. I found myself laughing out loud at points and really enjoying the journey of human development on screen. Watching the babies discover their world around them and grow in their capacity to express themselves was really satisfying. Also, I think I re-learned the importance of voiding my life of excess and doing away with a focus on material things. Babies don't need tons of toys. They were most content playing with dirt, sticks, and the occasional goat.

Great film. Liked the music. The film served my intended purpose of getting away from my own life, not talking to anyone, and through delightful humor, lightening up my mood. I went home happy. The babies were just beautiful and irresistible to watch.

I definitely recommend the film. You'll learn something. You'll laugh. And you'll walk away pleasantly smiling.



.
.
.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This movie looks very fun. I wish I had been able to go with you, but I may have been one of the people you are most tired of being around! I will watch for it at the Orem Library so we can check it out.

Mom