Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Venturing East.

Last week, I returned from a five-day trip to Washington, DC and New York City. Despite feeling quite sick, I had a great time with KDJ in DC and my family in NYC.

KDJ and I ate Chipotle and Red Hot & Blue, drove down to Mt. Vernon, got pedictures, watched "What Happens in Vegas" as well as several other TV shows. Since I was feeling sick, we had a pretty low-key visit, which was fine by me and wonderfully enjoyable. KDJ is a great hostess, making me breakfast and homemade Mediterranean salad for dinner. And the best is that she just took care of me while I was sick. Thanks Katie, for being my nurse.

I took the train into NYC, where I was met by Dad, Nancy, and Shep. We were all gathering to attend and celebrate Marina's college graduation. Dad and Nancy had this perfect two bedroom apartment for the week, so I got my own invalid's wing.

I LOVE NYC. I'm just a city person. That's it. It's not like I ever doubted, but living in this great little apartment for a few days reminded me of how much of a city person I truly am. I guess that's what I get for being born and raised in San Francisco.

The first night we had dinner at French Roast.

So... Marina graduated! Everyone was there. Dad, Nancy, Shep, Auntie Vicki, and Uncle Hank. Hillary Clinton spoke at the commencement. I must say, whether you like the woman or not, she's got a strong presence and gave a wonderfully inspiring message. (Can you see her in the picture?)

We were cold during the graduation and crowded afterward, but so happy to be there. Dinner at Compass was great, despite the fact that my sickness caused me to lose the ability to taste anything. So strange. But the night was very fun.

On the morning of my departure, we took a walk down Broadway and back up Amsterdam, and indulged in a New York classic, a Gray's Papaya hot dog with their papaya drink. Yum!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I love the graduation picture of the three of you!!

Let's go back!!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Ooooo...I love Gray Papaya....yum! Makes me hungry for NYC...and I feel the same about the city...It just feels like home.