Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Reading the news.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt



Lately, I've been thinking how much of a "downer" reading the daily news is and yet I am, somehow, glued to it, voraciously reading everything I can. I learn of lying and corruption in governments and corporations, hosts of humans whose lives have been cut short due to the decision of another human, the slaughter and rape of innocent villagers in war-torn countries, the bombs landing in towns of innocent civilians, and simply the overall violence that seems to characterize our times. I'm often discouraged when I think about the individual lives affected and what despair each of them has to deal with. At times it is too much for me to bear and I think the individual (and collective) problems of the world are too widespread to really take on and conquer.

And then today I read this quote from the Talmud:
“Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.”
And I am reminded that the efforts of small grass-roots organizations, service groups, families, and individuals are seldom reported in the media. My efforts, my prayers may seem small, but when combined with yours, they may have some worth. And I'm not at liberty to ignore what is happening in the world, but I'm also not required to save the world on my own. (Though, if I could, I would.)

Any thoughts?
.
.
.

No comments: