Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Bowl Full of Cherries.

"Happiness can be found in the smallest of things. Make it your passion to transform everyday routines into meaningful rituals."
~Unknown


Several years ago, (and I mean several), my mom and I were reading some personality book or quiz or something. I can't even recall. But what I do remember is that the description it gave for me included a line that said due to my realistic nature, I probably don't even really understand the phrase, "life is just a bowl full of cherries." Let's face it. They nailed it. My brain just doesn't get it. Could be in part due to the fact that I never really liked cherries much growing up, so I didn't understand the draw. I never really liked any pit fruits for that matter. But as I've gotten older, and really since Mom and Stephen have had cherry trees in the yard, cherries have grown on me. And eating around the pit and spitting it out doesn't bother me like it used to.


This year the cherry trees in Mom's yard were full of fruit and for some reason the birds stayed away long enough for us to pick about fifty pounds of cherries.


We just kept picking and picking and picking. They were everywhere. I think we managed to get everything within a short ladder's reach. The higher fruit would have to be left for the birds.


Still not really sure what the bowl full of cherries quote is supposed to actually mean, but I sure did enjoy the serenity provided by picking and eating a few cherries myself.


.
.
.
.

No comments: