Saturday, July 05, 2008

I'm Proud to Be An American...


How many of you can honestly say you did not sing a single phrase from this classic '80s patriotic song yesterday?!? One can't go a 4th of July without at least hearing the song! If you didn't take this Independence Day as an opportunity to whip out your hairbrush microphone (or your thumb or a spoon, or whatever you fancy), I strongly encourage you to let loose and be proud to be an American. It's freeing just singing the words. :) Lee Greenwood would be proud. I think the song is actually titled "God Bless the U.S.A.", but I like singing the rousing chorus best:

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land. God bless the U.S.A.
Every time I hear this song I think of summers at the Cannons and watching the Summer Olympics in 1984. (You know you're getting old when you can refer back, with clarity, to events that happened more than twenty years ago.) Yesterday, Lindsay and I resolutely (alright, somewhat in jest) stood and sang our hearts out. We tried to sing the verses, but really the chorus is what it's all about! :) Also, Agne and I learned all four verses to The Star-Spangled Banner, its history and sang it for my mom, KDJ, Linds, and Stephen. Then we also sang the Lithuanian national anthem. Fun times.

Having spent four out of the last six 4ths of July out of the country, I have a greater appreciation for the holiday and have realized how truly patriotic I am. I really am "proud to be an American" and recognize the myriad blessings I have experienced due to my citizenship of this great nation. Plus, ... who wouldn't love the 4th of July when spectacular fireworks shows, homemade ice cream, barbecued hamburgers, a day off work, and the colors red and blue (my favorites) are involved?!?! :) It's a no brainer, I tell you.

I hope all had a joyous 4th and that you, too, feel a deeper sense of gratitude for the privileges we enjoy.

No comments: